Friday 25 July 2014

An Interview with Dry Bluff's expert on all things ale and grog - Smee!

My Dearest Lucy,

I was so pleased to receive your last letter! I am glad to hear that you enjoy hearing about the people living in Dry Bluffs! I am pleased to say that I was able to spend some time in the pub yesterday, and managed to speak to Smee, the person who is most likely to be found there at all hours of the day and night! Luckily, I spoke to him before he was very deep in his cups, so his answers, while quite singular, do still make sense!
Smee was at one time a Doctor on either Kheir ed Din or Captain Dampier’s ship (his memory seems a little fuzzy on that score) , and while he did serve as quartermaster for Blackbeard for a time, he is currently pursuing a career in the area of testing the ale and grog that our pub features. 





Anthea: If you had a day in which you could do anything within the village, what would you do?
Smee: Yarr, a day in the Thirsty Parrot, singing an’ stealin’ ale tis the perfect day fer Smee (a Pirate has to keep his hand in)
Anthea: What accomplishment are you the most proud of? What are you famous for?
Smee: I can’t says for most of the bilge rats and swabs that be around the docks of the world, but the fact, the very fact I be heres to speak to ye, is to date, me proudest moment. All the days I be not Keel hauled is a victory for Smee and Piracy!!!
As to fame and glory, I leaves that to the Captain’s, though I have known for me thirst!


Anthea: How extensively have you travelled? In what way has it shaped you?
Smee: I has sailed the world from England’s fair shore to the far corners of South Seas, Van Dieman’s land, the Americas and the Spanish Main.
I has learned this, where ye be, ye be. Be there, be safe, cozy, and among good crew mates, then all is right in the world
Anthea: What are your greatest stresses / anxieties?
Smee: That the Pub will run dry before I has had me fill


Anthea: What comes easiest to you as a pirate?
Smee: A life of little responsibility and less work
Anthea: What is the best compliment you’ve ever received? Who gave it to you?
Smee: The best that I Smee ever got was from Katy, the day she said she liked me singing…ahhh a fine, clear summer’s day that was…mind ye, she was not well that day…down with some tropical fever, but I cherish the moment!
Anthea:  What do you think about most?
Smee: Ale, then Grog, then Grog, followed by Ale


Well, my dear Lucy, there you have it. Smee is a simple soul, enjoying above all the simple joys of grog and ale. Were you to visit on our festival days (August 2 – 4th), you will likely find him in the pub, or somewhere close to it!

Affectionately,



Anthea

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question or comment? Anthea loves hearing from you!