Sunday 27 April 2014

An Interview with Pubmistress (and Mayor) Katy

My Dearest Lucy,
I have been much delayed with writing this letter, in part because it was an onerous task I was not looking forward to. I have continued to interview the residents of Dry Bluffs, but I must admit, this was one of the more difficult interviews. Best to get it out of the way early on, I suppose!
You will recall that I spoke to you already about my greatest… affliction in the village (besides my husband, I mean!). Pubmistress Katy has been on the Village Council with me for some years, and last year (or was it the year before?) had the audacity to declare herself Mayor of Dry Bluffs, a title she insists on flaunting, knowing full well that I had my own heart set on such a position! Despite her attempt to aggravate me during our interview, I shall endeavour to relay her answers in as honest a fashion as is possible. I hope you will forgive the grammatical errors, as I was merely attempting to capture the unaltered flavour of Katy.


Anthea: Please introduce yourself, including your name, and your place in the village.
Kate: I be Kate the Mayor of DryBluffs and the owner of the Thirsty Parrot.
Anthea: What sort of childhood did you have?
Kate: Now what a silly question that be.  I was a babe in arms, learned to walk and work to learn me trade.  What other kind of childhood could you me meanin, is there any other kind. no sense complainin. got fed most days, had a dry place to sleep, and me clothes ne'er had too many holes in them, shoes didn't always fit, but ya learned to be quick on your feet to dodge the blows when you did complain. Ah dems were da days.  Had me Da and me Mam, there'd be 8 sisters (myself being the oldest) and a we squalling boy, the last of the litter. 
Anthea: How and when did you come to Dry Bluffs?
Kate: The ship got blown off course and here I be.  Tis a far cry it be as I was headed in the other direction entirely! Afor I boarded that blasted ship, never been more than the next village in me whole life. 
Anthea:  If you had a day in which you could do anything within the village, what would you do?
Kate: I'd be sitting in my pub drinking all the day long, and convincing all else to be there as well.  A grand old time would be had by all! Me customers love my establishment, not accountin for it be the only establishment in the town.

Anthea: What is your favourite memory of something that happened on a Dry Bluffs Festival Day?
Kate: Aye the best was the day they called the villiage council.  The whole kitten kaboodle of dem, got into a huff and left the meeting.  There I be all on me lonesome, left to deal with the public whats come to listen to the council, I called for a motion to make me the mayor of the town, got a second and a majority vote.  It be my pleasure since to be the Mayor of dis fair town.
Anthea:  What accomplishment are you the most proud of? What are you famous for?
Kate: No doubt it would have to be my ale and rum, old family recipies they be.
Anthea: What are your greatest stresses / anxieties?
Kate: To be sure it would be running out of rum and ale.  That be the worst disaster since landing on this god forsaken land. 
Anthea: What do you think about most?
Kate: How to keep making more ale and rum to take the profits from me pub, so to keep it safe from the pirates. 
Anthea: What was the happiest moment in your life?
Kate: The look on Mrs. Sparsgood’s face when she found out I be the Mayor of Dry Bluffs.  The memory of that moment will keep a smile on me face for years to come!

So there you have it, Lucy, a peek into the life of another of Dry Bluff’s residents. For all her faults, I must say that Katy’s pub is indeed one of the finest in the land, and although I am unsure just what she does in her capacity of mayor, the village still stands, and functions as well as any village full of pirates can! 
Be sure to write back with any questions you might have!
I shall write again as soon as I have had the opportunity to conduct more interviews!
Affectionately, Anthea

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question or comment? Anthea loves hearing from you!